Basil Spinach Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, packed
- ⅔ cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- black pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey (I used ground thighs)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Avocado or olive oil, for frying
- 32 oz marinara sauce
- gluten free spaghetti
- extra pesto
- shaved ir grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the pesto by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor and pulsing until well combined. Set aside.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients, except the marinara sauce, in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix until everything is well combined. Use a cookie dough scoop and wet hands to roll the meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs, roughly 2 tbsp of meat per ball.
- Place the meatballs in a baking dish that had been drizzled with a little avocado or olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour the marinara evenly over the meatballs. Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble and the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Serve with gluten free pasta, extra pesto, and pecorino Romano cheese and enjoy!
Keywords: pesto, pesto turkey meatballs, turkey meatballs, baked meatballs, meatballs