- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Heat the olive oil or ghee in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Season the chicken breast with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper on each side then set aside.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, 6 cups of chicken broth, bay leaves, turmeric powder, and salt to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, cover, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the soup and set aside to rest.
- Next, add the orzo to the soup and let the soup simmer and cook (uncovered) for another 10 minutes until the orzo is tender.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken breast and then add it back to the pot.
- Lower the heat and add the baby spinach, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill to the soup. Stir until well combined and the spinach begins to wilt. Give the soup a taste and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice to taste. Enjoy!
Keywords: lemon chicken orzo soup, chicken lemon orzo soup, how to make lemon chicken orzo soup, lemon orzo soup