- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I used King Arthur measure for measure flour)
- 1 cup finely ground corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- melted butter, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the diced butter to a small skillet or pot. Heat the skillet to medium heat. The butter will start to melt as the skillet heats up. Allow the butter to bubble and “cook” until it begins to change from a bright yellow color to a golden brown color. You will know the butter has “browned” when you see brown bits beginning to form in the bottom of the skillet or pot.
- Once brown, remove the butter from the heat and add in the garlic and herbs. Stir for one minute until fragrant and then transfer to a heat safe bowl to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the corn meal, gluten free, flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, add the shredded cheese and stir until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and the brown butter herb and garlic mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into an 8×8 pan that has been lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly in the pan.
- Bake the cornbread for around 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. The center of the cornbread should be puffed and the edges golden brown.
- Allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for a bit before transferring it to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Brush a little melted butter on the cornbread before slicing into 9 pieces and serving.
Keywords: brown butter cornbread, gluten free brown butter cornbread, gluten free cornbread, cheddar cornbread