- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, diced (roughly 2 – 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 – 4 oz cans green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
Chili Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a tablespoon of olive or avocado oil.
- Add in the diced onion, minced garlic, diced bell pepper, and diced sweet potato to the pot and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Add the spice blend to the pot and sauté for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the black beans, kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, vegetable broth, and dried bay leaf to the pot. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Bring the chili to a bowl and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let the chili simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- After the chili has simmered, give it a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Spoon into bowls, serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Keywords: vegetarian chili, vegetarian chili slow cooker, how to make vegetarian chili, how to make vegetarian chili in a slow cooker, what goes with vegetarian chili, best easy vegetarian chili recipe