- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean or 93% lean)
- 1 small to medium red bell pepper (roughly 1 cup diced)
- 1 small to medium green bell pepper (roughly 1 cup diced)
- 1 small to medium yellow onion (1 – 1 1/2 cups diced)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2– 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- shredded white cheddar, for serving
- sliced green onion for garnish
For the rice
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup white long-grain rice (like jasmine rice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil.
- Next, add the ground beef to the pot to brown. Break it up as it cooks.
- Once the beef is brown, add the diced bell pepper, diced onion, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, and dried bay leaves. Stir until well combined and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low to let simmer. Cover the soup with a lid and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering make the rice. Add the oil, rice, water, and salt to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook according to the package directions until there is no more water remaining and the rice is fluffy.
- Now serve the soup! Add a bit of rice to a bowl and then ladle the soup overtop. Top with white cheddar cheddar cheese and sliced green onion.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Sauté the ground beef until browned on the stovetop.
- Next add the diced onion, garlic, and diced bell peppers. Sauté for 2-3 more minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Transfer the ground beef, onion, and garlic mixture to the base of your slow cooker.
- Add crushed and diced tomatoes, spices, and broth to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Make the rice separately on the stovetop and then serve.
Keywords: healthy stuffed pepper soup, stuffed bell pepper soup, stuffed pepper soup recipe, best stuffed pepper soup recipe, how to make stuffed pepper soup, easy stuffed pepper soup