For the “Fried” Onion Topping
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Casserole Filling
- 24 oz fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease 9×13 baking dish.
- Make the Crispy “Fried” Onions: Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet. Once melted, add the sliced onion and sauté for 4 to 6 minutes or until the onions and started to become lightly golden brown and tender. Transfer the onions to a mixing bowl and then add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss until everything is combined and the onions are well coated in the breadcrumbs.
- Blanch the Green Beans: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then add the green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then use a slotted spoon to remove the green beans and immediately transfer them to an ice water bath to stop them from cooking. Drain the green beans and transfer them to the casserole dish.
- Make the Mushroom Sauce: Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms sauté until they become brown and tender, around 3-5 minutes. Then, add the minced garlic and thyme and sauté for another minute.
- Next, sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and then stir until well incorporated.
- Lower the heat a bit and slowly stir in the chicken stock. Once everything is well incorporated, stir in the half and half, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes until it has thickened and can coat the back of a spoon. If the sauce is too thick, you can add an extra 1/4 cup of broth.
- Assemble the Casserole: Pour the sauce evenly over the green beans in the casserole dish. Stir gently to ensure that everything is well combined and the green beans are evenly coated with sauce.
- Top the casserole with the “fried” onion mixture and then bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 until the casserole is bubbling along the edges and the top is golden brown. If the top of the casserole starts to become too brown, you can top it with foil to prevent it from burning. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: healthy green bean casserole, healthy green bean casserole recipe, is green bean casserole healthy, healthy green bean casserole without mushroom soup, green bean casserole