- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Heat the avocado oil or ghee in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Season the chicken with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper on each side. Sear the chicken until browned on each side, around four to five minutes per side, and then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot and saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, broth, bay leaves, turmeric powder, salt, and thyme to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low to simmer.
- Let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the soup and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and stir until everything is well combined. Turn the heat to low and stir in the dill and fresh lemon juice. Give the soup a taste and add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice to taste. Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy chicken soup, chicken soup, paleo chicken soup, whole30 chicken soup