- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, diced into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil or ghee to the pot and then add the diced chicken. Cook for four to six minutes until the chicken is cooked through and is no longer pink. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Next, add the diced onion, diced celery, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms to the pot. Cook for two to three minutes until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, dried thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and bay leaves to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir until combined and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let the soup simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Next, stir in the arrowroot starch. The soup should thicken as the arrowroot starch is stirred in.
- Finally, add the chicken back to the soup and stir in the frozen peas. Cook the soup for 5-10 more minutes until the chicken and peas are heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Add more arrowroot starch, one teaspoon at a time, to thicken the soup even more if you prefer.
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
Keywords: healthy chicken pot pie soup, chicken pot pie soup, chicken pot pie, chicken soup