- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, small diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups shredded chicken breast (I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 32 oz green enchilada sauce, divided
- 6 oz shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 4 oz hatch chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 grain free tortillas (I used Siete)
- 4 oz monterrey cheese
- For serving and garnish: lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream/Greek yogurt, avocado, diced red onion, slice jalapeño
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish with oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the avocado oil, diced onion, diced zucchini, and minced garlic. Sauté the garlic, onion, and zucchini in avocado oil until tender. Set aside.
- Make the Filling: Add the sautéed veggies, shredded chicken, Greek yogurt, lime juice, 1 cup of enchilada sauce, 4 oz shredded pepper jack cheese, hatch chiles, ground cumin, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Assemble the Casserole: Coat the bottom of the 9×13 baking dish with 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce. Then place a layer of 4 tortillas in the dish (they will overlap some). Next, add approximately a heaping cup of the chicken filling and spread out with a spatula or the back of spoon. Then pour on 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce. Repeat the process until all of the tortillas are used, you will have 3 layers ending with chicken filling on top.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the casserole and then sprinkle with an even layer of the remaining 2 oz of shredded pepper jack and 4 oz Monterrey cheese over the casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melty, bubbly, and beginning to brown.
- Garnish the enchilada casserole with chopped cilantro, diced red onion, sliced avocado, sliced jalapeño, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and fresh limes.
Keywords: green chicken enchilada casserole, how to make green chicken enchilada casserole, quick and easy green Chile chicken and enchilada casserole, green chicken enchilada casserole recipe, green enchilada casserole, layered green Chile chicken enchilada casserole