- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 batch gluten free cornbread
- 6 slices bacon, cut into lardons
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until well combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, butter, buttermilk, and eggs until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just combined.
- Transfer the cornbread batter 10 inch skillet or 9×9 baking pan Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
For the Stuffing:
- Dice the cornbread into 1 inch cubes and then spread the cubes onto a large sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake the cornbread at 350 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. Set the sheet pan aside to let the bread cubes cool while you prep the rest of the stuffing.
- Cook the bacon lardons in large skillet until crisp and then remove from the pan. Discard half the bacon fat from the skillet and then add the butter. Once melted, add the diced onion, celery, garlic, and mushrooms to the skillet. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Sauté all of the veggies for five to seven minutes until they are tender.
- Next, add the eggs and chicken broth to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the cornbread cubes, sautéed veggies and all the pan drippings, fresh herbs, and bacon to the egg and chicken broth mixture. Gently fold everything together until well combined.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foil from the top and bake the stuffing for another 10 minutes until toasted on top. Remove the stuffing from the oven and garnish with more fresh parsley before serving.
Keywords: gluten free cornbread stuffing, cornbread stuffing, gluten free stuffing, stuffing, thanksgiving sides, gluten free cornbread