For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Fresh parsley, for serving
For the Dumplings:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ cups half and half (could use whole milk or full fat coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Once hot, add one tablespoon of ghee or butter.
- Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper and then add to the pot. Brown the chicken on both sides, for 3-4 minutes and then remove from the pot.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter or ghee to the pot. Next, add in the veggies and garlic. Sauté everything for a few minutes until the onion starts to become tender and everything is fragrant.
- Next, add the chicken back to the pot and then add the chicken broth and herbs. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer until the chicken is cooked through completely and is no longer pink.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs from the pot and discard. Remove the chicken from the pot. Use two forks to shred the meat and then add it back to the pot. Next, stir in the heavy cream and arrowroot starch. Give the soup a taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Now, make the gluten free dumplings. Start by adding the gluten free flour, salt, and baking powder to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to whisk the dry ingredients together. Next, add the chives, half and half, and melted butter to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined and you have a sticky dough.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and use a small cookie dough scoop, or tablespoon, to drop the dough into the simmering soup. Once all the dumplings have been dropped into the soup, cover the pot with a lid and let the dumplings cook for ten to twelve minutes or until they are fully cooked through.
- Remove the lid, lower the heat, and stir in fresh parsley before ladling the chicken dumplings into bowl. Serve with fresh parsley and chives.
Keywords: chicken and dumplings, gluten free chicken and dumplings