- 5 pounds bone-in English cut short ribs, room temperature
- 1 medium to large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 bundles fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- parsley, for serving
- mashed potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. While the dutch oven is heating, liberally season the the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Once the dutch oven is hot, add the olive oil. Then, place half the short ribs in the pot. Sear the short ribs for 4-5 minutes per side until they have developed a deep brown crust. Remove the short ribs from the dutch oven and repeat this process with the other half of the short ribs.
- Once all of the short ribs have been seared and removed from the pan, turn down the heat to low.
- Add the sliced onion, diced celery, diced carrot, smashed garlic, and mushrooms to the dutch oven. Cook the veggies for a minute and then stir in the balsamic vinegar and tomato paste until well combined.
- Return the short ribs to the pot, nestling them amongst the sautéed veggies. Pour in the beef broth and add the thyme and dried bay leaves to the pot. Place the lid on the dutch oven and then place the short ribs in the oven. Braise the short ribs at 350 degrees for 2-3 hours until they are fork tender, checking them after 2 hours.
- While the short ribs are braising whisk together the coconut milk or half and half with the arrowroot starch until well combined. Set aside.
- Remove the short ribs from the dutch oven and use a spoon to skim off any excess fat from the top of the braising liquid. Heat the dutch oven over medium heat Bring the braising liquid to a simmer. Stir in the coconut milk arrowroot slurry mixture. The braising liquid will thicken into a gravy. Return the short ribs to the pot, nestling them in the gravy and ensure that everything is heated through before turning off the heat.
- Serve the short ribs and gravy over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Keywords: braised short ribs, braised beef short ribs, braised short ribs recipe, how to braise short ribs, how long to braise short ribs, how to make braised short ribs, what to serve with braised short ribs, the best braised short ribs recipe