- ½ tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 – 15oz can can black beans, rinsed
- 1 – 4oz can green chiles
- 1 – 15 oz jar red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 gluten free 6-inch tortillas, cut into quarters
- 6 oz shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheese blend
- Juice of one lime
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Shredded romaine lettuce, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add in the minced garlic and diced onion. Next, add in the ground cumin, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper. Cook the onion and garlic until they become translucent and tender, stirring frequently. Then, turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the shredded chicken, garlic and onion mixture, black beans, green chiles, chicken broth, lime juice, and enchilada sauce to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Next add the tortilla quarters to the bowl and gently stir until everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the enchilada mixture to the same skillet you used to cook the garlic and onion. Spread the mixture into an even layer with the back of your wooden spoon and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas for 15-20 minutes until the edges are bubbly and the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving with all of your favorite toppings and veggies. Enjoy!
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, gluten free chicken enchiladas, skillet chicken enchiladas