- 6 strips bacon, sliced in lardons
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 – 4oz can green chiles
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow potatoes, diced
- 2 cups yellow corn
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion, plus more for serving
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the bacon lardons to the pot. Cook the bacon for four to six minutes until crisp and then remove from the pot.
- Add the diced chicken thighs to the pot. Cook for four to six minutes until the chicken has browned.
- Add the diced onion, diced celery, and garlic to the pot. Cook for two to three minutes until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, dried oregano, green chiles, bay leaves, dried parsley, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the full fat coconut milk and chicken broth. Stir until combined and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Let the chowder simmer for twenty to twenty-five minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Add in the corn and cook for one minute to heat it through.
- Add the arrowroot starch and stir until well combined. The chowder should thicken as the arrowroot starch is stirred in.
- Finally, stir in three-fourths of the cooked bacon and sliced green onion.
- Give the chowder a taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the chowder in bowls topped with sliced green onion and the remaining crispy bacon.
- Add more arrowroot starch, one teaspoon at a time, to thicken the chowder even more if you prefer.
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken breast if you prefer.
Keywords: chicken and corn chowder, dairy free chicken corn chowder, dairy free chowder, gluten free chicken corn chowder