- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, plus more finely chopped walnuts for topping
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- To a large mixing bowl add the avocado oil, applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extra. Mix until well combined.
- To a separate bowl, add the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined. Next, fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.
- Pour or spoon the carrot cake batter into the lined muffin tin wells until 3/4 of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Add the room temperature cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip until well combined and smooth. Next, add the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and first beat on low to incorporate and then continue to beat the frosting on high until fluffy. Cover the frosting and refrigerate until the cupcakes have cooled completely.
- Frost the cupcakes using either a piping tip or a ziplock bag with the corner removed. Garnish with chopped walnuts.
Keywords: carrot cake cupcakes, carrot cake cupcakes recipe, carrot cake, cupcakes