- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (roughly 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 – unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To roast the sweet potatoes: Clean the sweet potatoes and then prick all over with a fork and place them on a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake the sweet potatoes until they are tender. This usually takes around one hour. Remove them from them oven and allow them to cool.
- To make the brown butter: While the potatoes are roasting, make the brown butter. Add the diced butter to a small skillet or pot. Heat the skillet to medium heat. The butter will start to melt as the skillet heats up. Allow the butter to bubble and “cook” until it begins to change from a bright yellow color to a golden brown color. You will know the butter has “browned” when you see brown bits beginning to form in the bottom of the skillet or pot. Remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cool, peel the sweet potatoes and mash with a hand mixer or stand mixer until they are smooth. If any strings collect on the beaters as you mash the potatoes, remove them. This will help your pie batter to be smoother. You will need 2 cups of mashed sweet potato.
- Next, add the sweet potatoes, browned butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond milk, eggs, orange zest, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and sea salt to a large mixing bow. Use an electric mixer to mix the filling until well combined and smooth.
- Place the pie crust on a sheet pan. Pour the pie filling into the crust. Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes until set. A slight jiggle is ok.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool on a wire rack until room temperature.
- Serve a slice of pie at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream and a little sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Keywords: sweet potato pie recipe, how to make sweet potato pie, can you freeze sweet potato pie, how long to bake sweet potato pie, ingredients for sweet potato pie, best way to prepare sweet potatoes for pie