- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 ½ cups mashed banana, roughly 3-4 large bananas (plus 1 more for the top)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: ½ cup dark chocolate or chopped nuts
- Neutral oil for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- First, start by making the brown butter. Add the diced butter to a small skillet or pot. Heat the skillet to medium heat. The butter will start to melt as the skillet heats up.
- Allow the butter to bubble and “cook” until it begins to change from a bright yellow color to a golden brown color. You will know the butter has “browned” when you see brown bits beginning to form in the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish to cool while you make the banana bread.
- In a large mixing bowl add the mashed banana, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Next, add the brown butter and stir until well mixed.
- Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl. Stir until well combined. Fold in any dark chocolate or chopped nuts.
- Transfer the batter to a well greased 9×5 loaf pan. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. If you would like, you can slice one banana in half and press it into the top of the loaf, cut side up. Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool for 5 minutes before removing it from the pan and onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Once cool, slice, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: gluten free banana bread, brown butter banana bread, banana bread