- 1 pound sourdough bread, French bread, or challah, cut into cubes
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 3/4 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for serving
- powdered sugar, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and then add the cubed bread to the baking dish. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the bread cubes.
- Make the Custard: Next, make the custard. Add the eggs, milk, half, and half, vanilla extract, cinnamon, lemon zest, brown sugar and melted butter, to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until everything is well combined.
- Pour the custard mixture evenly over the bread. Press the bread down slightly into the custard to ensure that every piece comes in contact with the custard mixture.
- Refrigerate the Casserole: Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours. Or, if you are short on time, cover the casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Once you are ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the casserole dish from the fridge, uncover, and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the baking dish to come to room temperature.
- Make the Streusel Topping: While the oven is preheating make the streusel topping. Add the softened butter, granulated sugar, all purpose flour, cinnamon, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Stir together until well combined and a crumble forms. Sprinkle to the streusel topping evenly over the top of the French toast casserole.
- Place the casserole in the middle rack of the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes until it is golden brown and set in the middle.
- Let the casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with sifted powdered sugar, fresh berries, and maple syrup.
Keywords: blueberry French toast casserole, French toast casserole