- 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast⠀
- 1 tablespoons salt, divided (plus more to taste)⠀
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil ⠀
- 1 yellow onion, sliced⠀
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar ⠀
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth ⠀
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed⠀
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces⠀
- 6 celery stalks, cut into large pieces⠀
- 1–15oz can diced tomatoes⠀
- 2 dried bay leaves⠀
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper⠀
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- Optional: 6 oz mushrooms
- mashed potatoes, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 330 degrees.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- While the dutch oven is heating, pat the chuck roast dry with paper towels. Next, sprinkle half the salt onto one side of the chuck roast.
- Once the dutch oven is hot, add the coconut or olive oil. Next, place the chuck roast in the dutch oven salt side down. Sprinkle the remaining salt on the other side of the beef.
- Sear the beef for 6-8 minutes on each side until it has developed a golden brown crust. Remove the beef from the dutch oven and set aside.
- Lower the heat and add the balsamic vinegar to the dutch oven to deglaze the pan. Next, add the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the dutch oven from the heat and add the beef, carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, herbs, bay leaf, 2 cups of beef broth, and black pepper. Cover the dutch oven with a lid, place in the oven, and cook for 3-4 hours or until the beef is fork tender.
- Once tender, remove the chuck roast from the dutch oven and use a spoon to skim some of the fat off the top of the braising liquid. Whisk together remaining ½ cup of beef broth and arrowroot starch. Bring the braising liquid to a simmer, on stove top, and then stir in the arrowroot slurry mixture. The braising liquid will thicken into a gravy. Return the chuck roast to the pot, nestling it in the gravy to ensure that everything is heated through before turning off the heat.
- Serve pieces of the chuck roast, carrots, celery and gravy over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Keywords: dutch oven pot roast, healthy pot roast, whole30 pot roast, healthy pot roast recipe, how to make pot roast in a dutch oven, how long to cook pot roast in dutch oven, healthy beef pot roast recipe