- ½ tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 – 15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 – 4.5 oz cans green chilies
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 32 oz chicken broth
- Cilantro, for serving
- Diced red onion, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the avocado or coconut oil. Next, add the peppers, onion, and garlic to the pot. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the chicken breast, canned tomatoes, canned green chilies, spices, lime juice, and chicken broth to the pot. Stir until well combined. Bring the soup to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and easy to shred.
- Transfer the chicken breast from the soup to a small bowl. Use two forks to shred the meat. Add the chicken back to the soup and stir until well combined. Serve the soup with fresh cilantro, diced red onion, and fresh lime wedges. Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy taco soup, taco soup, chicken taco soup